Positive birth affirmations can be a useful tool in helping to change and/or reinforce your beliefs. These beliefs can be about your body’s ability to give birth, about your birth partner’s ability to support you through the process, and about both of your abilities to be loving and involved parents. If you find that you have fears and concerns about birthing and parenting, using affirmations can help to dispel these. Even if you are feeling wonderful and positive, affirmations can only add to what you already intuitively know and feel. The aim is for them to be absorbed into your consciousness so your brain believes the statements and then reflects this reality.
Use the affirmations below as a starting point. Create images on your computer or write them out longhand using pens, markers, or paint. Post the affirmations around your house, car, and workplace. Post them on your bedside table, on your bedroom mirror, on your bathroom mirror, on the kitchen table, on the refrigerator, on the washer and dryer, on the hall closet door, on your steering wheel, on your computer, and wherever else you can think of where you will see them frequently and be reminded of how strong, confident, and beautiful you are. If you do plan to post these affirmations around your house, car, and workplace—be sure to print them out on sturdy cardstock so that they don’t get rumpled after hanging up for a while. Record yourself reading the affirmations and listen to them while you are relaxing, driving, cooking, exercising, or whenever you’re feeling anxious or worried. Change the wording or phrasing of any of these affirmations to suit your beliefs, personality, and style. Do some type of positive birth affirmation at least once a day.
- Birth is safe for me and my baby.
- I CAN do this. I AM doing this.
- My body and my baby know what to do.
- I am strong. My body is strong. My baby is strong.
- Breathe in relaxation. Breathe out tension.
- Every contraction brings me closer to my baby.
- I feel calm, confident, safe, and grounded.
- I am completely cooperating with my body.
- Keep breathing. Slow and even. Inhale peace. Exhale fear.
- My body will give birth at exactly the right time.
- I welcome my baby with happiness and joy.
- Open . . . Soften . . . Relax . . . Release
- I am prepared to meet whatever turns my birth takes.
- My body has a wide open space for my baby to descend.
- The strength of my uterine contractions is a sign of MY strength. I can do it.
- I believe my baby’s birth will come quickly and easily.
- My body is completely relaxed.
- My body is made to give birth, nice and easy.
- I surrender my birthing over to my baby and my body.
- My body knows how to have this baby just as my body knew how to grow this baby.
For more information and lots more affirmations, including PDFs to print out, register for my online childbirth class!